Talking in your sleep

You know how when you talk to someone who's mostly asleep but slightly awake, sometimes they talk hilarious nonsense? Well they do. I don't know why it happens that way, but it's true.

A couple nights ago, I heard Ruby crying like she does several times every night, and having trained myself to fly out of bed and be a responsible helpful dad, I jumped up, walked around the bed, paused, and it occurred to me that I was going to need something before I went in there.

"Hand me the- ... ... dessert."

Very matter of fact, as if I'd finally put my finger on it. Now that I think about it, I didn't need to take anything with me. I was just confused because I woke up too fast. Reminds me of the time a couple months ago, exact same scenario, wake up to go comfort a kid-

"I need the dynamite."

I don't know what sort of mental mixup that came out of. Sometimes when I say stuff like that, Val just sends me back to bed and takes care of it. At least I tried.

If you have a hilarious sleep-talking story, I'd love to hear it.

Shawn

2 Response to "Talking in your sleep"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    My husband is a notorious sleep walker/talker and when he was a little kid, he sleepwalked downstairs, walked over and peed on the tv!

    Once when I was reading in bed while he was sleeping, he suddenly sat up, leaned over and BLEW in my face! I asked him about it the next day, but he didn't remember what he was dreaming - maybe that my nose was on fire!

    -Audrey

  2. Anonymous Says:

    HAHA! I love it! You were gonna go comfort a kid and said, "I need the dynamite." Hilarious. :)

    Umm. Once when I spent the night in a hotel room with Jon & Kendra, I was falling asleep, but sorta still talking to Kendra at the same time. According to Kendra, I said to her, "Rendra, Rendra, Barbie needs a haircut." I vaguely remember it!