Sooo Cold!!

Kendra mentioned that she loves to hear Lucy stories, So I thought I would tell today's Lucy story. (Well, one of them, anyway.)

I really don't know anything about furnaces, but apparently ours has an on/off switch right on it. Lucy found this out when she was helping Shawn change the furnace filter a few days ago. I guess you can probably tell where this is going...

Sometime after supper last night, Lucy turned the furnace off! And we didn't realize it. Thankfully our house is sort of well insulated, but it was a chilly 50 degrees when we woke up this morning!

She's really impulsive and always does whatever crazy thing comes into her head.

Oh! So--I started going to this Women's Bible Study thing at Bethel on Wednesday mornings, and I was really nervous the first day. I guess I just didn't know what it would be like--I'm always nervous when I'm trying something new with the kids. Well anyway--we got there and all the other kids were running around and playing and riding on these riding toys so Lucy and Ruby joined them and started playing right away, which was great.

They serve us lunch, and someone said, "Okay! Time for lunch! We're going to pray!" So here's where I sort of hold my breath and think, "Oh, man. Here we go." Because it is soo hard for Lucy to leave a loud boisterous activity to do a quiet sitting down activity. She usually throws a fit. I usually just know it's coming and do whatever I can to calmly help her do what I asked her to do even though she's freaking out about it. But I'm new here, and I really wanted to make a good impression, I guess. That sounds silly when I type it out. But you know how moms are. They (we) sort of make a quick judgment of parenting styles/abilities. It's hard not to. We had just gotten there and already I knew I was in for a tantrum.

So I went over to Lucy and sort of bent down to talk to her and get her attention and I told her it was time to pray and she needed to come sit down with me. She immediately left her riding toy and said, "Okay, Mommy!"

I was shocked. And to top it off--when we got to the table, another little girl asked Lucy to go play with her. Lucy very loudly said, "No, I can't come play now. My mommy told me it was time to come sit down. And when my mommy tells me to do something, I obey!"

I almost fell over.

She sure keeps things interesting.

--val

3 Response to "Sooo Cold!!"

  1. Mike Lyons Says:

    Oh, man, if I could get my kid to behave like that I'd donate a kidney.

  2. reinders Says:

    wow! i don't know what else to say. (but i'm feeling jealous :)

  3. Wadsworthmommy Says:

    Love it!!! Glad the cold was a quick fix :)