How do you hold a pencil?

Apparently I don't have a functional pencil grasp!

Lucy holds her pencil funny, so I was trying to look up info on what I should do about it. I guess I hold my pencil funny too! =) I've got the thumb wrap grasp near the bottom. Anybody else hold their pencil funny?

val

2 Response to "How do you hold a pencil?"

  1. Jon Says:

    Strangely, I have strong feelings about this.

    All through gradeschool, I was harassed by teachers for using the "Thumb Tuck Grasp".
    http://www.mcpasd.k12.wi.us/northweb/CLASSES/Maher/images/image014.jpg
    I was always told that this was soooo wrong, and that I'd better learn the right way, or I'd be sorry later when I couldn't write.

    I began to feel bad about the way I was writing, and really tried to quit for awhile; my parents even got special pencil holders to help me learn the 'right' way to hold a pencil. Finally, I just gave up & gave in to the way I naturally wrote: the "Thumb Tuck Grasp".

    I am now, finally, at the age of 29, able to report that the "Thumb Tuck Grasp" has been JUST FINE for me; and that the way I NATURALLY write has worked out wonderfully.


    ---

    I think that if a kid wants to write, they'll find a good form that works for them & go with it. Every hand is different; every kid is different. I just wish I didn't have to go through all the grief of my parents & teachers trying to 'fix' me to get here.


    --
    Whoa, I don't usually rant...

  2. valandshawn Says:

    thanks for the rant!